Let's face it. I miss football, you miss football, we all miss football.
The NBA postseason has been nothing to write home about, MLB interest is plateauing in June as usual, and the NHL is bringing it - but only to it's small niche audience. Football gets our blood pumping and our hearts pounding, and we need it back dammit! Here's the beauty, when it does come back, it's coming back with a vengeance.
September 2nd will be a day of celebration, a day of pure joy, and a day you may never forget. College football technically starts a couple days prior, but the 2nd is the climax to the explosion of fireworks that is opening weekend. Check out this slate of opening day games and tell me you don't have chills up and down your spine:
Troy @ Boise State
- It's like the Group of 5 Super Bowl
App. State @ Georgia
- Do I smell another upset?
Texas A&M @ UCLA
- Kevin Sumlin vs Jim Mora in rematch from last year's season opener. A&M won 31-24 in an OT thriller.
BYU vs LSU in Houston
- With the interim tag lifted, Coach Orgeron gets his first crack at impressing the LSU fan base in this tough neutral field matchup
Virginia Tech vs West Virginia
- The Battle of the Virginias...in Landover, MD.
Florida vs Michigan in Jerry's World (Dallas, TX)
- Both of these teams had a stellar 2016 season by most teams standards, but not to their own. Both McElwain and Harbaugh have a lot to prove, and an opening season loss will be a tough pill to swallow for either team, given how 2016 ended.
Alabama vs FSU in ATL
- This Sept. 2nd pre-national title bout could in fact be that, a preview of the National Championship game. These teams could very well start the year #1 and #2 in the polls. I don't believe I've seen a 1 vs 2 to open the year in my lifetime, and if it did happen, I can't recall. This is a heavyweight bout if I've ever seen one, and is probably the best opening weekend game in CFB history. We finally get to see Jimbo vs Saban, the long awaited matchup, and with both teams at full strength. It's going to be special.