Who is the #1 player in fantasy football this year? I could make a solid case for 3 or 4 guys. Depending on how aggressive you want to get.
I’ve solidified my top 12 players. I’ll release that list maybe by the end of this week or early next week…but where I struggle most is actually @ the top, so I want to go over this with you here.
I’m going to assume full point PPR, because most of us at this point aren’t savages and cavemen playing in standard leagues that don’t reward receptions…
Case for JT…
- #1 RB in fantasy last season.
- Pillar of health.
- Entering his 3rd season, and he just keeps getting better.
- Colts have the best run blocking o-line in football.
Case for CMC…
- At his best, he breaks fantasy football.
- Only Marshall Faulk and LT compare to CMC at the highest level. That’s an auto playoff birth in your league if he stays healthy. In 2019, he scored 200 more fantasy points than the next best RB. (for reference, JT outscored Ekeler by 10 last yr)
- Doctors indicate his injuries from the last 2 seasons are more fluke than evidence of him breaking down. (Dropped on his shoulder, thigh issue, hamstring strain, and rolled ankle). I don’t think his injury risk is any more severe than Derrick Henry or Austin Ekeler, and those guys are still first round picks. That’s the inherent risk of drafting a RB.
Case for Cooper…
- You want safety, this is your guy.
- 9th most targets in NFL HISTORY last season. 2nd most receiving yards in a season. 16 touchdowns. Outscored the 2nd best WR by 100 points, and very little is changing for him. He’s going to be great again. Can he produce what he did last year? He doesn’t really have to in order to warrant the pick.
- 29 years old so he’s at the tail end of his prime.
Case for JJ (Justin Jefferson)…
- If you are looking for a WR who is poised to breakout in a huge way, rather than trying to chase Cooper Kupp, this is the right play.
- JJ is entering that pivotal year 3 season in his career. A standard WR breakout season. And he’s already awesome.
- Top 10 fantasy WR his rookie year. Top 3 last year.
- PFF has him graded behind only Davante Adams, Cooper Kupp, and Deebo Samuel.