With Skaggs’s name and No. 45 on all of their jerseys Friday night, the Angels played practically perfect baseball during their first home game since their 27-year-old teammate’s death.
What all made this night divine:
- Angels collectively pitched the 11thno-hitter in franchise history
- Day before Tyler Skaggs would’ve been 28 years old
- His mom, Carli, threw out a perfect strike as the honorary first pitch
- they scored seven runs in the first inning and finished with 13 runs and 13 hits — and Skaggs’s birthday is 7-13 — July 13th.
- The last combined no-hitter in California was thrown in Oakland on July 13, 1991 — the exact day Skaggs, a California native, was born.
- Mike Trout hit a HR in the first inning and pointed to Skaggs family in the crowd during his slow trot